Netherwood has one all-inclusive wedding package, consisting of the following:
(please note that provisional bookings are only held for a week)
Netherwood chapel is unique. For as plain a reason as : simplicity.
The honest glass, steel and stone structure frames the change of the rolling hills from fresh green to warm yellow. It sits on a natural rock outcrop, where worn-in pine trees act as csurtains, gently filtering the setting sun.
The chapel is an unusually contemporary design, catering to the discerning client. It can open completely on both sides for a 360 degree view of the ever-changing landscape.
We believe that every service is a rare and precious rite of passage.
For this reason, we do not take on more than one service per weekend.
- 130 pax on restored pews
- Space for additional seating on end of aisles takes it to approximately 190 pax
- Doors fold open for larger weddings to extend the seating area onto the lawns
The chandelier in the entrance is a flight of bronze African Cliff Swallows, with each individual swallow being commissioned to local sculptor Michael Mawdsley.
Swallows were often the subject of sailor’s tattoos, marking their fore-arms with this symbol of returning home, and returning to love.
Most bird books will also tell you that swallows pair up for life.
Netherwood Chapel was once an honest little structure at the top of a hill - only visited by pigeons. It was decided in 2009, after 20 years of its creation, to capture that honesty, and make available the breathtaking views that the chapel offers.
The old decrepit walls were removed, and replaced with steel and glass wings. With the availability of all sorts of unusual finds from the farm, the strength of the architecture could be balanced with the warmth of history.
What was important to both the design and process, was to maintain the simplicity of the structure and to allow the winsome beauty of the view in. The construction was truly a labour of love, and we hope that this, in some small way, reflects on your ceremony, and your future.
Please see our gallery for more images of the transformation from pre-2009 through to our inauguration in April 2010.
Glass and Sunset
From the chapel, one strolls down a path through a natural forest - which terminates in an age-old pine, marking the entrance to the triple volume wings.
Much like the chapel, the design of the venue was based around allowing the surroundings to take centre stage. The structure of steel and glass overlooks four inter-leading dams, which become enormous mirrors at sunset.
The contemporary interior keeps to our philosophy of simplicity. The positioning of voile curtains allows for for a fluid transition from a boisterous 250 guest wedding, through to an intimate 100 guest event.
The literally, rock solid, bar can cater to any party as it serves both inside and outside. Pre-drinks on the lawn in front of the bar, overlooking the tiered dams, is the perfect setting for guests to take in the surroundings.
Useful information :
- approximately 100 guest layout
- approximately 150 guest layout
- approximately 200 guest layout
- banquet style layout
- blank floorplan
Netherwood Venue is fitted with the following features:
- Gas fireplaces throughout
- Full height frameless glass doors and windows
- Parquet dance floor in centre of venue
- Double sided (interior and exterior) rock bar
- Fully fitted catering kitchen
- 2 ladies and 1 gents bathrooms
Netherwood also provides the following :
- 250 white tiffany chairs
- Rectangular trestle tables
- White table cloths and serviettes
- Crockery, cultery and glassware
- Fully stocked bar
- Podiums for speeches
All our facilities are strictly non-smoking.
For more information or a full stock list, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
The general curiosity of the renovation of the chapel led to the decision to develop the idea of a contemporary wedding venue - for the modern bride and groom.
What was key in the development, was the desire to create a space that was intrinsically beautiful. The environment, the materials, and basic structure needed to become the strength - to achieve simple grace, not covered-up-and-coloured- in beauty.
Since we wanted to maintain the feeling that you are on a farm in the country, but with an extra touch of class, we opted for a traditional farmshed steel structure. We then filled it in with glass, stone and sleeper wood.
Lidgett’s Grant Lodge
Lidgett’s Grant Lodge is the original farmhouse on Netherwood Farm.
it now functions exclusively as a self-catering house for the use of weddings and functions.
Please note: rooms are not available individually as the house is exclusively for the use of the bride and groom.
- 6 en suite bedrooms (2 pax each)
- 1 family room en suite (4 pax)
- 2 bedrooms (2pax each) with shared bathroom
- Sleeps maximum of 20
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Self-catering pub
- 3 lounges
- Full dstv in tv room
- Fireplaces in bar and main lounge
- Central courtyard with braai
- Open verandah overlooking paddocks
- A short walk from the trout fishing dams
- A short walk from the wedding venue and chapel
Some important items to remember :
- Check in is from 2pm
- Check out no later than 12pm
- Please bring your own fishing equipment
- Please bring your own swimming / fishing towels
- Matches / torch for braai facilities
- All rooms are non-smoking - courtyard and verandahs are designated smoking areas
- Click here for a map of the property
- Click here for a layout of the house